Concentric Maxi Torque
Custom Machine and Tool Co. Inc.Updated 04/23/2020
A primer on the technology and its application
WHAT IS THE CONCENTRIC MAXI TORQUE?
- CMT is a revolutionary keyless tapered bushing & shaft-to-hub connection system.
- Developed initially for the synchronous drives market.
- Designed and patented by Custom Machine & Tool Co., Inc.
- Patent No. 6,568,063
WHY CUSTOM MACHINE & TOOL CO., INC. DEVELOPED THE CMT BUSHING SYSTEM
Custom Machine & Tool Co., Inc, through 40 years of design and application experience in the synchronous drives market, saw a need for a technologically improved hub-to-shaft connection system.
- As machine speeds and indexing requirements continue to increase reduction in inertia and vibration becomes important.
- Synchronous timing belts and system components will last longer, go faster and be more accurate when tension excursion is minimized through better run-out control.
- Component alignment and run-out are more critical at higher speeds.
- There was not a high quality compact bushing system available for shaft sizes under 1” diameter.
- Most connection systems require extra component mass to make the connection.
- Second and third generation synchronous timing belts are capable of production higher torques requiring stronger shaft connections.
CMT is a unique bushing attachment system: a single set screw locks the low-taper-angle split bushing in place and eliminates all of the existing attachment issues.
- Bushing system is engineered to assure full surface contact and even clamping pressure with a single set screw.
- Set screw size optimized to provide holding torque in line with shaft diameters and component torques.
- Developed using mathematical and FEA modeling.
- Scalable to any shaft/bore size requirement.
- Lower inertia and better shaft-to-component balance.
- System design assures near perfect hub-to-shaft concentricity when assembled.
CMT BUSHING SYSTEM vs. OTHER SHAFT CONNECTION SYSTEMS
Easiest and fastest system to assemble and disassemble
CMT Bushing System Benefits
Set Screws: CMT has higher torque capacity, lower component run-out, better alignment, and no shaft distortion.
Keyways: CMT has no movement under reversing conditions, maintains both axial and rotational position, and allows for phase control during assembly, increased shaft contact decreases run-out.
Pins: CMT has higher torque capacity, decreased component run-out, and phase control during assembly, easier assembly/disassembly, reusable.
Clamp Collars: CMT requires less space, lower inertia, 360° uniform clamping pressure, lower cost, eliminates component wobble, multiple bore sizes per component.
Other Attachment Systems: CMT requires less space, lower inertia, lower cost, smaller outside diameter for minimum component size with maximum bore.
CMT PRODUCT FAMILY
Custom Machine & Tool Co., Inc. has developed its CMT bushing system, through scalable technology, to meet a wide variety of popular, as well as custom, hub-to-shaft combinations.
- Imperial & metric bore size coverage from .125” to 1.1875” and 3mm to 30mm
- Torque capacities from 14 in-lbs (1.5Nm) to 2,795 in-lbs (315 Nm)
- Multiple bore size offerings per bushing size allowing for maximum mix & match flexibility with minimum components
- Withstands repeated assembly and disassembly with no shaft damage and without a reduction in torque capacity
- Flexible positioning accuracy provides easy phase adjustment
CMT BUSHING SYSTEM APPLICATIONS
Custom Machine & Tool Co., Inc., an innovative designer and market leader, can apply the CMT bushing system in solving your most demanding hi-tech synchronous drive and rotating component problems.
- High speed indexing and reversing in systems using timing belt pulleys and gears
- Systems requiring a high level of component rotational positioning accuracy and precise run-out control
- Designs where reduced inertia and low vibration are desired
- Components required to be assembled and disassembled multiple times during their life
- Rotating mechanisms requiring compact space
- Devices requiring high reliability with minimal maintenance
CMT BUSHING SYSTEM PRODUCT OFFERING AND CUSTOM SOLUTIONS
We do it all in small to mid-sized timing pulley applications. Our manufacturing capabilities provide flexibility and low total cost solutions. We are specialists in product customization.
Timing Belt Pulleys
- MXL (.080”), XL (.200”), L (.375”), H (.500”)
- 3mm, 5mm, 8mm HTD® Profile
- 2mm, 3mm, 5mm, 8mm PGGT® Profile
- T2.5, T5, T10
- AT3, AT5, AT10
- 40DP (.0816”)
- Zero Backlash
- Idler Pulleys
- Round Belt Pulleys
- Feed Rollers
- Spur Gears
- Poly-V Pulleys
WHERE CAN THE CMT BUSHING SYSTEM HELP YOU?
- Component Alignment and Timing
- Reversing Problems
- Inertia and Space
- Vibration Issues
CONCENTRIC MAXI TORQUE
A Technically Superior Solution
- Quicker assembly than other systems
- Higher holding reliability – lower maintenance
- Improved shaft-to-hub concentricity – less run-out
- Multiple bore sizes available per bushing size
- Reduced inertia for increased power savings
- Compact design fits in tighter spaces
- Cost competitive with all other attachment systems
REQUEST A QUOTE