Motion Control Resources
Akribis Systems Voice Coil Motors & Voice Coil Position Actuators
Electromate Inc. Posted 03/07/2016
A "voice coil" is a generalized term that refers to any galvanometer-like mechanism that uses a solenoid to move an object back-and-forth within a magnetic field.
Voice coil actuators, or non-commutated DC linear actuators, consist of a permanent magnetic field assembly (permanent magnets and ferrous steel) and a coil assembly. The current flowing through the coil assembly interacts with the permanent magnetic field and generates a force vector perpendicular to the direction of the current. The force vector can be reversed by changing the polarity of current flowing through the coil.
Voice coil actuators are typically used in focusing applications, oscillatory systems, mirror tilting, and miniature position control.
Electromate offers a full family of Voice Coil Motors & Voice Coil Modules from Akribis Systems. Features include:
- Direct drive, zero cogging, and zero backlash
- Low coil mass with very fast response and bandwidth
- No contact between coil and core movement (no wear and tear)
- Cylindrical or rectangular shape
- A variety of Voice Coil Motors and Voice Coil Modules (Position Actuators)
- Smooth motion at low speeds with limitless resolution (depends on feedback device)